1) When does "I'll let you know by Thursday" mean "I'll let you know by Thursday" and when does it mean "No, but I don't want to actually SAY that"?
2) Is there a way to tell the difference without waiting in vain for a call?
3) When is it a good idea to call and say "Hi, it's Friday and you said you'd let me know by yesterday" and when is that a REALLY BAD idea? And how to tell the difference?
4) If someone is gonna lie to me from the start, do I really want to work for/with them anyhow? (Hint: I'm pretty darn sure the answer is Not-Just-No....)
5) Is the situation described in the second part of #1 an actual lie, or a socially mandated/sanctioned circumlocution?
6) Why does the word "sanction" and its tenses have two opposing meanings? Which is the more widely accepted meaning?